CVC 406, also referred to California Vehicle Code 406, is where the California law makers define the legal description of a gas powered moded, an electric moped, and an electric bicycle, also referred to as an ebike in the community.
Gas powered mopeds and Electric mopeds are described in section 406(a).
Electric bicycles, ebikes, are defined in section 406(b). (source of the code is from the California Department of Motor Vehicles' (DMV) website (LINK)
(click on images to enlarge)
CVC 406 reads:
Motorized Bicycle 406
(a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power,
or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~406(b)
[note: for operation and equipment of electric bicycles (CVC 406(b), see CVC 24016]
(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.
(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.
(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.
(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:
(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.
(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:
"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 804, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996. Supersedes Sec. 2, Ch. 342.
- Ebikes in California
- Ebike/E-Scooter Public Parking/Charging
- Batman on Ebikes
- Ebike Public Charging/Parking Stations
- Cycle Santa Monica! community forum
- Power-Assist community forum
- E-Motor-Assist community forum
- Moped Army
- Myron's Mopeds
- Electric Bicycle Laws (wiki)
- Motorized Bicycle (wiki)
- Electric Bicycle Laws (lawGuru wiki)
- Electric Bicycle Laws (Answers.com)
- Electric Vehicles Directory (wiki)
- Santa Cruz County Electric Bike prorgram
- Electric Vehicle Conversio(with Calif section)(wiki)
- Air-Powered-Vehicles community forum